Friday, November 6, 2009

Finer Things Friday: My Granddaddy

My granddaddy was one of the most amazing people ever. Seriously, nobody ever had anything bad to say about him. He was a hard worker, loved his family,and loved God.

Granddaddy worked enough for three people on the WPA during the Great Depression. He worked to earn enough money to support himself, his parents, and one of his brothers and his family. He helped build a bridge in a town near where my mom spent her early years and everytime we drive near it I smile and think of what an amazing legacy he left behind.

Granddaddy had his fair share of funny moments as well. It was always the little silly things. He could find humor in almost any situation. He lost one of his eyes to cancer and the glass eye he got became the subject of many jokes. Like one time he was in the hospital and the nurse commented on how pretty his eyes were. He took the glass eye out and said "here ya go." It didn't take more than once to learn not to ask him to keep an eye on something because, you guessed it, he would literally keep his eye on it.

Sadly for my family he passed away in 1994, a week after his 80th birthday. But the values he instilled in his children and grandchildren and the wonderful memories live on. And that my friends is a finer thing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Micha! Thanks for stopping by my groovy blog. I look forward to reading more about your life in Alabama. WAR EAGLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sounds like such a great grandpa, and reminds me of my own. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...