Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tornado Relief Efforts In Eastern Alabama: How You Can Help

I live in the Eastern part of Alabama. In the Calhoun/Cherokee county area more specifically. While we might not have sustained the damage Tuscaloosa, Birmingham and Cullman have there are still many people without homes or with serious damage to their homes.

I spent the better part of the evening tweeting trying to find out who was doing what in this area and was able to compile a few places that can either point you in the direction of where to help or are a donation drop off/dispersion point.


Calhoun County:
Cherokee County:
The following items are needed: *furniture in good condition *beds & mattresses *sheets & linen items (blankets, quilts, pillows...) *towels, washcloths *soaps, baby wipes, tissue, shampoo, and other toiletry items *non-perishable food items *Also, financial donations can be given as well
We are needing volunteers to serve at the center, by doing the following: *work in the center helping load & unload items *deliver items to victims *pick up items being donated *other task will be needed as well
You can find out more by visiting the CBA website
  • Leesburg Baptist Church is taking donations of baby supplies and blankets and work boots. You can contact me and I can let someone from the church know. 

    I have one more agency to contact and will update this post as soon as I find out more information. Any other places I find out about I will add as I get more information.
    Update 05/05 Piedmont Benevolence Center.


    Update:  I was told these places were taking donations: Fords Valley Baptist Church, Young's Chapel Congregational Methodist, Cross Creek Community Church in Hokes Bluff{Etowah County}, Knightens Crossroads FD, Oak Grove Baptist Church, Williams First Baptist, Word Alive International Outreach - Oxford all in Calhoun County. I do not have contact information for all of them but I know most of the ones listed in Calhoun county have been mentioned on the two Facebook pages I listed at the top. If anything changes it will be updated here.

    Want to find out about how to learn of more opportunities to help? Read How to be a Tornado Relief Hero by Using Social Media by Rachel at Grasping for Objectivity in My Subjective Life. Rachel tells you who to follow on Facebook and Twitter (even if you don't have an account) to get real time information.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...