Sunday, February 28, 2010

Once a Month Cooking in March: The Game Plan



I've listed the dishes I am going to make so it is time to break them down into steps. It is late winter in Alabama and that means crazy weather. Seriously we're in the upper 50s today and tomorrow and snow is forecast on Tuesday. I will be doing my oven cooking Tuesday to maximize the warmth.




Monday:

  • Make pancakes. I'll double the recipe and some will be breakfast for my nephew and me. The rest will be frozen.
  • Cook pintos in the slow cooker for refried beans. I'll be cooking some extra beans because I am making tostadas for supper.
  • Make flour tortillas.  I will be making at least three dozen because enchiladas are on the menu for March and we'll go through  18 tortillas easily with two pans of enchiladas.
Tuesday:
  • Make brown sugar biscuit twists. I'll be freezing them already baked for a quick breakfast.
  • Buttermilk biscuits. Some will be baked then frozen and I will also whip up a batch of dough and cut and freeze for when I have a bit more time for them to bake.
  • Make and freeze the pizza dough. I will probably double the recipe. I can't remember off hand how many pizzas this makes because I haven't made the dough in awhile. 
  • Make the French Bread rolls. These will be baked prior to freezing so on nights we want rolls we can take a few out and heat them in the oven or microwave them.
Crystal at Money Saving Mom has these great down loadable freezer cooking planning worksheets that will help take a lot of the guess work out of once a month cooking. When we get more ink for the printer I plan on printing a ton out and putting them in a notebook.
    See y'all again tomorrow night with an update of what I managed to get done and some photos.

    Like what you read? To get new posts delivered subscribe to Aint Mimi in a reader or by email It is completely free; it just takes a couple minutes of your time.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...